Home | Current students | Student support

Student support

We want you to get the most out of your time at South Metropolitan TAFE, and we’re happy to help you do that. If you have any issues we are only a phone call or short visit away. We can help you with things like making your course application more competitive, study and career options and study support. Get in touch with your local student support team by calling 1800 001 001. 

South Metropolitan TAFE also offers specialised support and services to meet specific needs.

More information
Student Services
Tel: 1800 001 001
Email: info@smtafe.wa.edu.au

Literacy and numeracy support
Literacy and numeracy support may be available to help you with your course. Talk to your lecturer about access to help and programs.
Student support services (disability)

Student Support Services works in partnership with staff, students and disability networks to strengthen the organisation’s culture of inclusion and to ensure students have every opportunity to achieve their personal aspirations and career goals.

Student Support Services works across all campuses to coordinate and implement support for students with disabilities whether temporary or permanent. People with disabilities have a right to access and participate in education and training on the same basis as those without disabilities.

The service is free, confidential and disclosure is voluntary.  View the flyer here.

Am I eligible for Student Support Services?

Nearly one in five Australians has a disability. The definition of disability under the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) 1992 is quite broad. It includes physical, intellectual, sensory and learning disabilities, medical conditions and mental illness. 

If you think you have a disability, you are encouraged to approach the service directly and register for assistance in order to access support. Students with disabilities do not have to disclose unless they wish to arrange reasonable adjustments whilst studying or need to notify about a health risk to themselves or others.

Please note: even if you advise about your diagnosed disabilities on your enrolment questionnaire, you should also make an appointment with a Student Support Advisor so that your support requirements can be discussed in more detail with you.

How do I make an appointment?

You can contact Student Support Services as follows:

Tel: 1800 001 001
Email: student.access@smtafe.wa.edu.au

Alternatively, you can give permission for a staff member to refer you to Student Support Services and we will contact you. 

What documentation do I need to provide? 

You will be asked to provide current evidence from an authorised health professional outlining the functional impacts of your disabilities. Personal Information provided to Student Support Services will be kept confidential and only for the purposes of being able to offer support and arrange reasonable adjustments. If you are a minor, Student Support Services will consult with you and your guardian about confidentiality provisions. 

What are Reasonable Adjustments?

In tertiary education, any support or assistance given to students with disabilities to assist with study is called a Reasonable Adjustment as outlined in the DDA legislation and Disability Standards for Education (2005). 
Reasonable Adjustments refer to modifications or changes that give you the same opportunities to participate in education and training as people without disabilities. The types of Reasonable Adjustments put in place will be discussed with you and will take into account your needs and abilities.

Reasonable adjustments must balance the inherent requirements of the course and the interests of all parties affected: yourself, the education provider, staff and other students.

What are the inherent requirements of the course?

Inherent requirements are the fundamental parts of a course that must be met by all students in order for them to be deemed competent. They are the abilities, skills and knowledge students need to complete the course - those components which, if removed, would compromise the learning outcomes. Please be aware that any proposed adjustments or recommendations must also meet the inherent requirements of the course.

Some examples of Reasonable Adjustment are:

  • access to course material in alternate formats;
  • access to an Auslan interpreter;
  • access to assistive and ergonomic equipment; and
  • extra time to complete an exam (whilst maintaining the integrity of the assessment).

Reasonable Adjustment does not:      

  • give you an advantage over others and any adjustments must balance the needs of all parties affected.
  • modify course standards or outcomes (you will still need to acquire the core knowledge and skills outlined in the course and demonstrate competency in required tasks).
  • mean that the Student Code of Conduct or reasonable directions for occupational health and safety guidelines are not to be followed; 
  • guarantee academic success as you will still be responsible for completing the work and meeting the required standards.

Please note: Reasonable adjustment provisions may also vary between Registered Training Organisations in their implementation and delivery.

Further information

  • Discuss your needs openly with the Student Support Advisor and let them know how they can help you. Be prepared to provide evidence of the nature of your disabilities and/ or other diagnosed conditions. 
  • Reasonable Adjustments can take time to organise and may require several meetings. It is your responsibility to make contact and request support. 
  • You are eligible to register throughout the semester but the earlier you make contact to discuss your needs the better.
  • Stay in regular contact with your Student Support Advisor each semester. Your needs or personal circumstances may change over time so please provide updates and current contact details and be aware of your course units census dates.  

Contact information

Tel: 1800 001 001
Email: student.access@smtafe.wa.edu.au

Alternatively, you can give permission for a staff member to refer you to Student Support Services and we will contact you. 

Disability Access and Inclusion Plan (DAIP)

South Metropolitan TAFE is committed to quality vocational education and training that is accessible and equitable for all students. Consistent with the spirit and intent of the Plans in place at the former Challenger Institute and Polytechnic West, we will continue to progress ongoing strategies and projects, as part of our strong commitment to access and inclusion. These activities support the principles of a socially inclusive college community and address disadvantage. By removing barriers to opportunity in education and training, we support the educational participation of people with disabilities.

Over a period of 12 months, from the formation of the college in April 2016, a new DAIP has been developed highlighting key strategies to ensure that people with disabilities have the opportunity to fully participate in all aspects of college life. Download the results of our consultation and planning below.

Aboriginal student support services


South Metropolitan TAFE’s Aboriginal Services can offer support and advice in addition to a range of referral services to assist you while you are studying.  Referral services may be either internal (within the College) or external to available government and community services depending on individual student need. Contact us if you have any questions or would like to find out more about the types of support on offer.

We can assist with:

  • Advocacy for Aboriginal students
  • Student enrolment and application processes
  • Pastoral care
  • Referrals to internal and external support services 
  • Referrals for disability support
  • Study support
  • Links to public transport timetables

South Metropolitan TAFE has an active Aboriginal Education, Employment and Training Committee (AEETC) that provides advice to the College on Aboriginal community, education and training needs and we celebrate significant Aboriginal events throughout the year across our Campuses, such as NAIDOC Day.

We also have the Koora Marr Centre at Thornlie Campus and Kadidjiny Mia Centre at Rockingham Campus, which are culturally safe spaces that promote shared communication, respect, knowledge and education for our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.

Contact Information

Appointments can be made to see an Aboriginal Student Support Services staff member at any campus.

Tel: 1800 001 001
Email:      AS.support@smtafe.wa.edu.au


Apprenticeship and traineeship support

Apprenticeship and Traineeship Support Unit (ATSU) 

Over 40% of all apprenticeships in Western Australia are completed with South Metropolitan TAFE.  Our goal is to assist employers to meet their business objectives by providing contemporary, quality training to employees through the course of an apprenticeship. To help facilitate this relationship, the Apprenticeship and Traineeship Support Unit (ATSU) team is available to support students and employers.

You can contact ATSU on 1300 932 677 or at apprenticeships@smtafe.wa.edu.au.

Page last updated February 01, 2019