VET Student Loans are available to eligible students enrolled in specific Diploma or Advanced Diploma courses.
The Australian Government pays the amount of the loan direct to SM TAFE, and you repay your loan through the Australian taxation system once you earn a wage equal to or higher than the repayment threshold.
There’s no application or loan fee for VET Student Loan government subsidised courses, however, there’s a loan fee of 20% for fee-for-service or commercial VET Student Loan debts.
Read the VET Student Loan booklet for more information and follow the steps below. But first, check if you’re eligible by using the Australian Government’s eligibility tool. You can also review useful information on our Forms, Policies and Fact Sheets page.
How to apply
Before you apply, visit our VET Student Loan pre-enrolment information page.
Students will need to provide the following documents with their application.
Australian citizenship requirements:
- Current Australian Passport; or
- Australian Citizenship Certificate; and
- Full Australian Birth Certificate*
*Students born on or after 20 of August 1986 with both parents born outside of Australia will need to provide proof of one or both parents Australian Citizenship Certificate on or before their date of birth.
New Zealand citizenship requirements:
- Meet the Commonwealth's eligibility requirements**
- Provide current New Zealand passport or provide full birth certificate
- Complete a statutory declaration, stating you meet the Commonwealth's requirements
- Provide an Immigration Movement Records form prior to the course first census date
**For New Zealand Citizen eligibility requirements please visit Study Assist(opens in a new tab) .
Permanent Humanitarian visa holder:
- Provide current passport with humanitarian visa details
Educational loan entrance documents:
- Australian Year 12 Senior Education Certificate issued from a governing body or agency, or
- A Certificate IV or higher in an Australian Qualification Framework or equivalent (when the course was delivered in English), or
- Sit an approved literacy and numeracy test achieving an exit level 3 or higher in both.
- Achieved an International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
Enrol in your course and advise the enrolling officer you have applied for a VET Student Loan. Please note that submission of a VET Student Loan Application will not act as an enrolment confirmation. You must still enrol in your course regardless of your chosen payment option. If you are not deemed eligible for a VET Student Loan by your administrative dates, and have not made alternative payment arrangements, your enrolment at South Metropolitan TAFE will be cancelled. VET Student Loan Officers will follow up for further documents if required.
You will be sent an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) after enrolling, this may take up to two weeks to arrive during peak periods. This an online form which will register your VET Student Loan with the Commonwealth and must be submitted by your administrative dates