Fees are unique to your study plan and individual circumstances and are payable for each semester of study.
There are two main types of fees which may be charged:
- Tuition fees – these are set by the State Government and calculated on the category of enrolment.
- Resource fees – these cover materials such as workbooks and products purchased by SM TAFE which are required for your course. In addition to these fees, you may need to purchase textbooks, uniforms and other course specific equipment.
There’s also a non-refundable College Discretionary Fee of $20 that is charged per year (as a contribution to security and other onsite facilities) if you study on campus. If you study online, there’s no additional fee required.
See the course page study options for your preferred study style and location, and for a table of fees showing general tuition or concession tuition fees if available, plus resources fees payable. Other charges may apply.
You may be eligible for a credit towards a qualification if you have previous industry knowledge and experience. This can shorten the time required to complete a qualification and may not require any additional study.
If you’re eligible, there is a $100 non-refundable fee payable. Check the RPL page to find out more about the RPL process.
Check out our VET Fees and Charges Policy (239 KB) (PDF document - opens in a new tab) which contains an explanation of the full schedule of student course fees and charges for State funded enrolments.
Further information about fees
The fees quoted on course pages are estimates only and are generally for the entire course for students enrolling on a full-time basis in 2022 (fees are subject to change in 2023).
- Fees might differ between courses delivered at different campuses due to the elective units included in the course study plan or adapting courses to meet local industry needs.
- Fees may also differ for each individual student depending on the units of study selected, prior qualifications and Recognition of Prior Learning credits.
- Fees are payable at enrolment each semester for the units enrolled for that period. Some multi-semester courses might have a larger fee load in the first semester.
- Proof of concession must be presented to access concession rates if eligible.
- For secondary school-aged people (in 2022, students born on or after 1 July 2004 who are at least 15 years old) undertaking training that is not part of a VET Delivered to Secondary Schools program, the maximum tuition fee chargeable in 2022 is $420 plus the resource and discretionary fees.
- Concessions and the secondary school-age fee cap do not apply to commercial courses (such as short courses), or English and Foundation Studies courses (such as English as a Second Language and General Education).
- Prices quoted include resource fees, but do not include material fees such as the cost of text books, uniforms and student's personal equipment.
- The course fee cap for Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas only applies during the current calendar year, so fees might differ for students enrolling in semester 2.
- VET Student Loan eligible courses and caps may be subject to changes implemented by the Australian Government.
- Fees for apprenticeships and traineeships are based on standard selected units but elective units may be negotiated, resulting in different fees.
- Course information and fees are subject to change without notice. Resource fees are indexed by CPI each financial year.
- If you live in an Australian state or territory other than Western Australia and wish to study with us as an interstate student, you will have your application referred to TAFE International WA(opens in a new tab) for processing.
- Existing worker traineeships at any qualification level are charged at the $5.79 fee rate and are only eligible for tuition fee concessions in courses specified on the Department of Training and Workforce Development concession eligible Diploma and Advanced Diploma list. Funded existing worker trainees at any qualification level are charged at the Category 1 fee rate of $5.79 per nominal hour, except in select targeted fee relief courses, where they are charged at the Category 5 fee rate of $1.62 per nominal hour up to the maximum course fee caps.
- Fees cannot be refunded for course withdrawals after the census date.