The Diploma of Civil Construction Design prepares you for working as a designer or design para-professional who supports professional engineers. They perform tasks involving a high level of autonomy and requiring the application of significant judgement in planning and determining the selection of equipment/roles/techniques for themselves and others. They are required to develop site specific work designs to ensure the implementation of the client’s site requirements. They demonstrate the application of a broad range of technical, managerial, coordination and planning skills.
The course content has been designed and selected as recommended and supported by industry to ensure graduates have a strong understanding of Australian standards, business practices, national codes and guidelines.
Gain these skills:
- Schedule and estimation of construction tasks
- Calculate foundation and footing requirements
- Manage a project schedule, cost and risk
- Knowledge of structural requirements, local building and construction standards, codes and practices
- Structural mechanics: loads, analysis, materials, and design of building members such as columns, beams, trusses and portal frames
- Simulating various load conditions to determine the strength and stiffness of structure by reporting component stress, strain and deformations
- Create detail drafting, technical specifications, schedules, and bill of quantities for a building project
- Building Information Modelling (BIM) implementation through planned coordination to deliver specific project outcomes, time and cost savings
- Detailed designs of both rural and urban roads, surface and subsurface drainage
- Investigate location of underground services and their impact on projects
- Calculating, sizing and selecting infrastructure components
- Geometric designs to optimize operational efficiency and road safety
- Analyse, interpret and apply Australian, MRWA and Austroads standards and guides
- Stormwater capture methods
For those of you already working in the industry, this course is delivered full time as well as part time, along with flexible learning delivery modes to support full-time workers. Evening delivery will support people unable to attend day classes to obtain a Civil Engineering Diploma qualification, in order to enhance career ambitions and to build and update your knowledge and skills in this rapidly changing industry.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 3 days per week when studied full time across one semester.
As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 9 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
You will need to have the basic technical requirements, including Microsoft Office - Word; Excel, for at-home study. If you don’t have access to a computer and WiFi at home, we recommend using our library computers during library hours.
Work placement is not a requirement of this course.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (pen, pencil, exercise book, eraser, ruler and calculator) and wear enclosed footwear.
In addition, you are required to wear the following PPE for various laboratories and workshops:
- full sleeve shirt
- closed shoes
- full length pants
- safety glasses (will be provided by SM TAFEs Applied Engineering)
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
SM TAFE actively promotes the employment availability of course graduates to key industry partners and organisations. We also seek expressions of interest from organisations for the placement of our students into work experience. We endeavour to assist students into a career pathway, but please be aware that neither employment nor work experience placement is guaranteed by us.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application.