Full Electrical Contractors Course
To be eligible you must hold a current electrical workers licence, restricted licence is not acceptable.
The full electrical contractors course includes both nominee and business components.
- Nominee component includes five days face to face
- Business component includes online learning plus one day of assessment maximum six months to complete
Business and Nominee contractors courses can be completed separately. To make a booking or any general enquiries please use the web form on this page.
This Electrical Licensing Board-approved course provides theoretical and practical training and is designed to enhance participants’ existing skill sets. The program will not only build upon your current electrical trade studies, it will also improve and refresh your knowledge of:
- statutory requirements (Electrical Contractors Nominees/In-house Licence)
- legislation and process (Electrical Contractors Nominees/In-house Licence)
- inspection and testing of electrical installation work (Electrical Contractors Nominees/In-house Licence)
- business task management and monitoring business operations (Electrical Contractors Licence)*
* Please note: If you are not working within an electrical contracting company, a person other than an electrical contractor may hold the business aspect of the licence. In this case, the electrical work will only be completed, under that aspect of the licence, by an electrician employed by that company and nominated by that same employer as the Nominees/In-house Licence holder.
Electrical Contractors Licence course consists of four mandatory units. Other units in the Full Electrical Contractors course are payable separately as you progress to complete the full pathway.
- S0060P EA103A Operation (Electrical) Legislative Requirements
- S0056P WAE100 Electrical Requirements
- S0058P EA102 Establishing a Contracting Business
- S0059P EA103B General Legislative Requirements (this course page)
Electrical Contractors Nominees / In-house Licence course consists of two mandatory units.
- S0060P EA103A - Operation (Electrical) Legislative Requirements
- S0056P WAE100 - Electrical Requirements
Electrical Contractors Business Licence course consists of two mandatory units.
- S0058P EA102 - Establishing a Contracting Business
- S0059P EA103B - General Legislative Requirements (this course page)
- The General Legislative Requirements component of the course is delivered fully online, start anytime
- Use the Express your interest link below to begin
- New course starts each month
Course materials required
Students are required to obtain the following materials prior to course commencement.
From South Metropolitan TAFE:
AS/NZS 3000 and all amendments
From State Law Publisher
ph 6552 6000
8.30am to 4.30pm
Electrical (Licencing) Regulations 1991 and all amendments
Electricity Regulations 1947
WA Electrical Requirements. This can be downloaded directly from http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/publications/wa-electrical-requirements-waer or call Energy Safety on 6251 2000, Level 1, 303 Sevenoaks Street Cannington WA 6107
Standards Australia are subject to change without notice and all students should check for the latest version and amendments at purchase.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application.
All year round
eCampus - Online
|When||All year round|
Indicative fees and charges
Visit our Fees page for all you need to know about fees at SM TAFE.
More information about fees – at a glance
Based on the full possible study plan of units, including the recommended electives
Based on full time study in 2021
Subject to change for full time study in 2022
Charged at the government funded rate for over 18 years of age students
Based on unit electives designed to meet localised industry demand for skills
Fees may vary between students and between educational providers. Other charges may apply.
Lower Fees, Local Skills fee caps
Skills Ready skill sets
VET Student Loans
Recognition of Prior Learning
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) enrolments are charged at $3.25 per nominal hour of study.
To get started with RPL, visit the Recognition of Prior Learning page.