Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
This qualification will provide you with the practical skills and knowledge to safely operate a commercial vessel of less than 24 metres in length within offshore limits. You will learn skills in shipboard safety, navigation, ship knowledge and vessel operations.
This certificate will allow you to work as:
- Master on commercial vessels up to 24 metres long within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels up to 35 metres long within the EEZ
- Chief mate or deck watchkeeper on vessels up to 80 metres long in inshore waters
In addition to successful completion of Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal), the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) requires students to successfully complete each of the following to be issued with a new certificate of competency:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Meet medical and eyesight test requirements
- Completed AMSA approved task book or have qualifying sea service
- Long Range operator certificate of proficiency or equivalent
- Complete an AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA)
Refer to the following information for the AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA). (opens in a new tab) People seeking certification should contact the marine regulators, Australian Maritime Safety Authority(opens in a new tab) .
Semester 1, 2021
- Body of Course – Part 1 (Passage Planning): starts 12 April
- Elements of Shipboard Safety: starts 10 May
- Body of Course – Part 2 (Seamanship and other Skills): starts 17 May
Semester 2, 2021
- Body of Course – Part 1 (Passage Planning): starts 4 October
- Elements of Shipboard Safety: starts 1 November
- Body of Course – Part 2 (Seamanship and other Skills): starts 8 November
This qualification is directly aligned with priority industry areas where the jobs are today, and into the future. As part of the state government Lower fees, local skills initiative, from 1 January 2021 through to 31 December 2021 you'll only pay half the course fees (plus resource fee), capped at $1,200; or $400 if you're aged 15—24 or eligible for a concession. Find out more.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
- This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Master Under 24M Near Coastal in the maritime industry and Command a Commercial Marine Vessel which is up to 24 meters in length. The propulsion power must be unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 500 kW for an inboard engine.
- Vessel: inshore or as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ)
For information about jobs and pathways, please see
Further study opportunities:
- MAR406138 Certificate IV in Maritime Operations (Master up to 35 metres Near Coastal), State ID BDT9
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.