Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
This certificate enables you to work as a Master or Chief mate on vessels less than 500 gross tonnage in any operating area and as Watchkeeper deck officer on vessels of any gross tonnage and in any operating area.
With this certificate you can perform the duties or functions of:
- Master or chief mate on ships less than 500 gross tonnage in any operating area.
- Watchkeeper deck officer on ships of any gross tonnage in any operating area.
- Master and chief mate on ships less than 3000 gross tonnage in near coastal waters.
- Able seafarer—deck.
In addition to successful completion of the Diploma of Maritime Operations (Master up to 500GT), the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) requires students to successfully complete each of the following to be issued with a new certificate of competency:
- Meet medical test and eyesight requirements
- Completed qualifying sea service time as either understudy of the officer in charge of a navigational watch or equivalent. Please refer to AMSA website below for further information
- Pass a Final Assessment at an AMSA office.
Refer to the following information on the AMSA website(opens in a new tab) for further details.
People seeking certification should contact the marine regulators, Australian Maritime Safety Authority. Phone: Head Office (02) 6279 5000 (8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday EST) or visit the website(opens in a new tab) .
This qualification is directly aligned with priority industry areas where the jobs are today, and into the future. As part of the state government Lower fees, local skills initiative, from 1 January 2021 through to 31 December 2021 you'll only pay half the course fees (plus resource fee), capped at $1,200; or $400 if you're aged 15—24 or eligible for a concession. Find out more.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
- This marine course is aligned to the educational requirements for certification as Deck Watchkeeper as described in Marine Orders - Part 3: Seagoing Qualifications (Version 6) under the Australian Navigation Act 1912. A history of sea time/service on board a vessel will be required to obtain a certificate of competency from AMSA.
For information about jobs and pathways, please see http://joboutlook.gov.au/
Further study opportunities:
- MAR60315 Advanced Diploma of Maritime Operations (Master Unlimited), State ID AWN9
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.