Ready to give your career a makeover?
Gain the skills and knowledge to work across a broad range of positions in the vibrant and exciting beauty industry. This course is available to start in term 4, 2020.
Learn a range of skills including:
- Lash and brow treatments
- Manicure and pedicure design
- Apply makeup
- Lash extension
You will learn how to perform client consultations and advise on beauty products and services. Train in our modern, well equipped beauty clinic using a wide range of professional products and technologies.
This course provides you with a pathway to higher qualifications such as Certificate IV in Beauty Therapy or Diploma of Beauty Therapy.
Speak with a coordinator or program manager if you do not meet eligible entry criteria.
Term 4 classes are Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday 9am-3:30pm.
Not available for semester 1, 2021 entry.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
This course is available as a traineeship.
Entrance requirements for traineeships
You must be employed in a training contract by an appropriate organisation to study an apprenticeship or traineeship.
In a traineeship you also gain hands-on skills and work experience, and improve your employment prospects, while earning a wage. On successful completion you will gain a nationally recognised qualification which can lead to rewarding career options. The difference between a traineeship and an apprenticeship is that a traineeship can be either a full time or part time employment based training arrangement, usually for a nominal duration of 12 months or more, generally in a non-trade related area.
To find out how to arrange a traineeship and study at South Metropolitan TAFE, please contact the Jobs and Skills Centre(opens in a new tab) closest to you.
Attendance in class
This is a full-time course. You will need to attend approximately 555 hours of class, over 3 day a week, for 19 weeks.
As well as the in-class component, you maybe required to complete additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (a pen and notepad and equipment from orientation booklet lists). Student will require to supply own equipment/tools below.
• 1 pair of tweezers
• 1 pair of cuticle clippers
• 1 white gown – Velcro/ under arm style
• 1 white head band
• 2 large white bath towels
• 2 white hand towels
• 1 white flat single sheet (not fitted)
• Laptop or electronic device for completing assessments and access to Blackboard at home and in class
(Word Program required or can be accessed for free as a student of TAFE)
• USB (optional but handy)
• 1 display folder for written handouts
• Professional Beauty Therapy – Nordmann/Day – Australia and New Zealand 3rd Edition
Uniforms and workwear requirements:
• Black trousers, leggings or ¾ pants (no shorts, skirts, black jeans or jeans) • Black beauty tunic - Zip front tunic, CATU68 – Black – From Hot Klobber. Note this is the preferred style of tunic but we understand we all come in all shapes and sizes so you are welcome to purchase a different sytle of tunic from Hot Klobber or elsewhere. The tunic must be black.
• Please wear black pants with black shirt or t-shirt with no slogans/pictures/words until your order has arrived
• Closed in shoes of any colour
• Winter- Over tunic- Black cardigan, or long sleeved black shirt under tunic if required (no jumpers/hoodies are to be worn during class times)
• Minimal jewellery
• Hair up in a bun if able to and discreet makeup is required for all classes
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
SM TAFE actively promotes the employment availability of course graduates to key industry partners and organisations. We also seek expressions of interest from organisations for the placement of our students into work experience. We endeavour to assist students into a career pathway, but please be aware that neither employment nor work experience placement is guaranteed by us.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.