Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Do you love all things beauty and have a great eye for style and glamour? This course is your first step to beginning your career in the vibrant and exciting world of beauty.
Be guided by our expert team of lecturers who are experienced industry professionals as you learn the fundamentals of providing a range of beauty treatments including nails, waxing, lash and brow, tanning and make-up services. Develop a range of practical skills such as providing manicures and pedicures, nail art, applying make-up for photography, eyelash extensions and spray tanning. You’ll be trained using professional product ranges such as Dermalogica skin care, and MAC, Crown, Kryolan and LA girl makeup.
In this course you’ll also grow your customer service skillset, learning to engage with clients and create a positive client experience from greeting and preparing on arrival through to advising on beauty products and treatments.
At SM TAFE your fees are inclusive of all training products and equipment for the entirety of your course. You will receive a take home makeup brush set to start you on your makeup journey. Additional purchases include a beauty tunic, textbook and linen for class use.
Study in specialist facilities
Gain hands-on experience in our student Hair, Beauty & Massage Student Clinics which offer the chance to operate in a ‘real life’ beauty clinic, hairdressing salon or remedial massage clinic whilst developing your practical skills under the guidance of qualified practitioners and lecturers. You can follow the clinics on Facebook(opens in a new tab) .
Our Mandurah campus is also undergoing exciting developments with new purpose-built training facilities coming in 2023, including simulated hair and beauty training facilities, with a hair salon and dedicated training spaces for beauty and massage therapy.
- lash and brow treatments
- manicure and pedicure design
- professional makeup application
- lash extension
- perform client consultations
- advise on beauty products and services
In order to make an informed choice about the suitability of this course, you must take into account the essential skills and knowledge required to undertake this study.
- be a people's person - friendly and easy to approach with a love for the beauty industry
- enjoy practical work and be comfortable with physical contact
- no allergies and be in good health
- be well-presented
- have good communication skills and can relate to people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds
- be motivated with a high level of responsibility
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 3 days per week when studied full time across one semester.
As well as the in-class component, you may be required to complete additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
You will need to have the basic technical requirements for at-home study. If you don’t have access to a computer and WiFi at home, we recommend using our library computers during library hours.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (a pen and notepad and equipment from orientation booklet lists). Student will require to supply own equipment/tools below.
- 1 pair of tweezers
- 1 pair of cuticle clippers
- 1 white gown – Velcro/ under arm style
- 1 white head band
- 2 large white bath towels
- 2 white hand towels
- 1 white flat single sheet (not fitted)
- laptop or electronic device for completing assessments and access to Blackboard at home and in class
- Word program required or can be accessed for free as a student of TAFE
- USB (optional but handy)
- 1 display folder for written handouts
- Text book: Professional Beauty Therapy – Nordmann/Day – Australia and New Zealand 3rd Edition
Uniforms and workwear requirements
- Black beauty tunic - JB’s Wear – JB’s Ladies Scrubs Top-SKU: JB-4SRT1-Bk purchased from Hot Klobba/ Hip Pocket Workwear and Safety, Mandurah and Port Kennedy
- Black pants, or plain black leggings, or long black loose skirt. No active wear leggings are to be worn. While waiting for your tunic, a black shirt or t-shirt with no slogans, pictures or words should be worn.
- Closed in shoes of any colour
- Winter (over tunic) - Black open cardigan, or long-sleeved black shirt under tunic if required (no jumpers or hoodies are to be worn during class or assessment times)
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
SM TAFE actively promotes the employment availability of course graduates to key industry partners and organisations. We also seek expressions of interest from organisations for the placement of our students into work experience. We endeavour to assist students into a career pathway, but please be aware that neither employment nor work experience placement is guaranteed by us.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.
Select your preferred campus and apply
Click on your preferred campus and study mode below to get started with your application.