Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Ready to give your career a makeover?
Gain the skills and knowledge to work across a broad range of positions in the vibrant and exciting beauty industry.
At SM TAFE your fees are inclusive of all training products and equipment for the entirety of your course. You will receive a take home makeup brush kit to start you on your makeup journey. Additional purchases include a beauty tunic, text book and linen for class use.
Be trained by industry specialists in our well-equipped beauty clinic rooms, using a wide range of professional products and technologies, including Dermalogica skin care, and MAC, Crown, Kryolan and LA girl makeup.
This course is going to update to a new version in 2023. This means that students starting in 2023 will enrol in the new units developed to meet current and future industry needs. Please note that the fees shown below are indicative only and may change.
- lash and brow treatments
- manicure and pedicure design
- apply makeup
- lash extension
- perform client consultations
- advise on beauty products and services
- acrylic nails and drill use
In order to make an informed choice about the suitability of this course, you must take into account the essential skills and knowledge required to undertake this study.
- be a people's person - friendly and easy to approach with a love for the beauty industry
- enjoy practical work and be comfortable with physical contact
- no allergies and be in good health
- be well-presented
- have good communication skills and can relate to people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds
- be motivated with a high level of responsibility
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 3 days per week when studied full time across one semester.
As well as the in-class component, you maybe required to complete additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (a pen and notepad and equipment from orientation booklet lists). Student will require to supply own equipment/tools below.
- 1 pair of tweezers
- 1 pair of cuticle clippers
- 1 white gown – Velcro/ under arm style
- 1 white head band
- 2 large white bath towels
- 2 white hand towels
- 1 white flat single sheet (not fitted)
- laptop or electronic device for completing assessments and access to Blackboard at home and in class
- Word Program required or can be accessed for free as a student of TAFE
- USB (optional but handy)
- 1 display folder for written handouts
- Professional Beauty Therapy – Nordmann/Day – Australia and New Zealand 3rd Edition
Uniforms and workwear requirements:
- black trousers, leggings or ¾ pants (no shorts, skirts, black jeans or jeans)
- black beauty tunic - Zip front tunic, CATU68 – Black – From Hot Klobber. Note this is the preferred style of tunic but we understand we all come in all shapes and sizes so you are welcome to purchase a different style of tunic from Hot Klobber or elsewhere. The tunic must be black.
- please wear black pants with black shirt or t-shirt with no slogans/pictures/words until your order has arrived
- closed in shoes of any colour
- winter- Over tunic- Black cardigan, or long sleeved black shirt under tunic if required (no jumpers/hoodies are to be worn during class times)
- minimal jewellery
- hair up in a bun if able to and discreet makeup is required for all classes
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
SM TAFE actively promotes the employment availability of course graduates to key industry partners and organisations. We also seek expressions of interest from organisations for the placement of our students into work experience. We endeavour to assist students into a career pathway, but please be aware that neither employment nor work experience placement is guaranteed by us.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.
Select your preferred campus and apply
Click on your preferred campus and study mode below to get started with your application.