Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Are you interested in a rewarding career as a beauty therapist? This diploma opens graduates to a range of employment opportunities such as working in a spa salon, a beauty salon, cruise ships, or working at home for yourself. It is also a pathway to Advanced Dermal Science qualifications.
This course provides theory training in IPL and LASER units which gain you the Laser Safety Officer Certificate required to work with these modalities in industry. Along with a dermal science and advanced skin care treatment focus.
Be trained by industry specialists in our well-equipped beauty clinic rooms, using a wide range of professional products and technologies, including Dermalogica and Medik8 skin care, and MAC, Crown, Kryolan and LA girl makeup.
At South Metro TAFE your fees are inclusive of all training products and equipment for the entirety of your course. You will receive a take home makeup brush kit to start you on your makeup journey. Additional purchases include a beauty tunic, textbook and linen for class use.
On completion of this course, you will gain the Laser Safety Officers Certificate required to perform IPL and laser treatments in a salon or clinic.
Study in specialist facilities
Gain hands-on experience in our student Hair, Beauty & Massage Student Clinics(opens in a new tab) which offer the chance to operate in a ‘real life’ beauty clinic, hairdressing salon or remedial massage clinic whilst developing your practical skills under the guidance of qualified practitioners and lecturers. Follow the clinics on Facebook(opens in a new tab) for exciting news and updates.
Our Mandurah campus(opens in a new tab) has undergone major re-development with new purpose-built training facilities including simulated hair and beauty training facilities, with a hair salon and dedicated training spaces for beauty and massage therapy.
- skin needling
- specialised skin peels with Medik8 and Dermalogica
- IPL and laser safety protocols (laser safety Officer Certificate)
- facials and specialised facials
- body massage and aromatherapy massage
- knowledge of skin structure and function into Beauty Therapy
- manicure and pedicare
- lash and brow treatments including lash lifting
- skills in retail and sales operations
- hot stone massage
- day, evening, photography and catwalk makeup application
- infection control and safe hygiene
In order to make an informed choice about the suitability of this course, you must take into account the essential skills and knowledge required to undertake this study.
- be a people's person - friendly and easy to approach with a love for the beauty industry
- enjoy practical work and be comfortable with physical contact
- no allergies and be in good health
- be well-presented
- have good communication skills and can relate to people from a variety of cultures and backgrounds
- be motivated with a high level of responsibility
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 3 - 4 days per week when studied full time across two semesters.
As well as the in-class component, you may be required to complete additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
You will need to have the basic technical requirements(opens in a new tab) for at-home study. If you don’t have access to a computer and Wi-Fi at home, we recommend using our library computers(opens in a new tab) during library hours.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (a pen and notepad and equipment from orientation booklet lists). Student will require to supply own equipment/tools below.
- 1 pair of tweezers
- 1 pair of cuticle clippers
- 1 white gown – Velcro/ under arm style
- 1 white head band
- 2 large white bath towels
- 2 white hand towels
- 1 white flat single sheet (not fitted)
- Laptop or electronic device for completing assessments and access to Blackboard at home and in class
- Word program required or can be accessed for free as a student of TAFE
- USB (optional but handy)
- 1 display folder for written handouts
- Textbook - Professional Beauty Therapy, Nordmann/Day – Australia and New Zealand 4th Edition
Uniforms and workwear requirements
- Black beauty tunic - JB’s Wear – JB’s Ladies Scrubs Top-SKU: JB-4SRT1-Bk purchased from Hot Klobba/ Hip Pocket Workwear and Safety, Mandurah and Port Kennedy
- Black pants, or plain black leggings, or long black loose skirt. No active wear leggings are to be worn. While waiting for your tunic, a black shirt or t-shirt with no slogans, pictures or words should be worn.
- Closed in shoes of any colour
- Winter (over tunic) - Black open cardigan, or long-sleeved black shirt under tunic if required (no jumpers or hoodies are to be worn during class or assessment times)
- Beauty therapist | Beauty Salon owner | Day spa therapist | Waxing specialist | Skin care specialist | Nail technician | Beauty industry sales rep
- Special occasions hair and makeup artist (HMUA)
- Industry educator or trainer
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
SM TAFE actively promotes the employment availability of course graduates to key industry partners and organisations. We also seek expressions of interest from organisations for the placement of our students into work experience. We endeavour to assist students into a career pathway, but please be aware that neither employment nor work experience placement is guaranteed by us.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.
Students wishing to advance their IPL skills can continue study in the Vocational Graduate Certificate in Intense Pulse Light and Laser Hair Reduction (currently under redevelopment).
Become a specialist in your field with university study
The information about university credit points and tuition costs provides a general guide only. SM TAFE recommends students discuss credit points with the university or college of their choice at the time of graduation.
Select your preferred campus and apply
Click on your preferred campus and study mode below to get started with your application.