Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Are you interested in the science behind beauty?
The beauty industry is rapidly evolving to accommodate latest technologies - and a large part of this is laser skin and hair removal. This area of work requires therapists to have specialised dermal qualifications. South Metropolitan TAFE is proud to be the first TAFE in Western Australia to offer this certification, the Dermal Science of Beauty Diploma. This diploma opens graduates to a range of employment opportunities, as well as advanced dermal science qualifications.
You will be trained by industry specialists in the latest dermal cosmeceutical skin care. This course has STEM skills with a focus on technology and science in addition to the creativity of beauty care.
Gain these skills
- specialised skin peels
- IPL and laser safety protocols
- facials and specialised facials
- body massage
- lash and brow treatments
- spray tanning
- lash extensions
- skills in retail and sales operations
- Indian head massage
- hot stone massage
On completion of this course you will gain the Laser Safety Officers Certificate required to perform IPL and laser treatments in a salon or clinic.
Work in specialist, open to the public clinics on campus
You will have the opportunity to apply your skills in our Hair, Beauty & Massage Student Clinics.
Follow the clinics on facebook.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 3 days per week when studied full time across one semester.
As well as the in-class component, you maybe required to complete additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (a pen and notepad and equipment from orientation booklet lists). Student will require to supply own equipment/tools below.
• 1 pair of tweezers
• 1 pair of cuticle clippers
• 1 white gown – Velcro/ under arm style
• 1 white head band
• 2 large white bath towels
• 2 white hand towels
• 1 white flat single sheet (not fitted)
• Laptop or electronic device for completing assessments and access to Blackboard at home and in class
(Word Program required or can be accessed for free as a student of TAFE)
• USB (optional but handy)
• 1 display folder for written handouts
• Professional Beauty Therapy – Nordmann/Day – Australia and New Zealand 3rd Edition
Uniforms and workwear requirements:
• Black trousers, leggings or ¾ pants (no shorts, skirts, black jeans or jeans) • Black beauty tunic - Zip front tunic, CATU68 – Black – From Hot Klobber. Note this is the preferred style of tunic but we understand we all come in all shapes and sizes so you are welcome to purchase a different sytle of tunic from Hot Klobber or elsewhere. The tunic must be black.
• Please wear black pants with black shirt or t-shirt with no slogans/pictures/words until your order has arrived
• Closed in shoes of any colour
• Winter- Over tunic- Black cardigan, or long sleeved black shirt under tunic if required (no jumpers/hoodies are to be worn during class times)
• Minimal jewellery
• Hair up in a bun if able to and discreet makeup is required for all classes
- Beauty practitioner | Beauty therapist | Beauty consultant | Dermal therapist | Laser safety officer
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
SM TAFE actively promotes the employment availability of course graduates to key industry partners and organisations. We also seek expressions of interest from organisations for the placement of our students into work experience. We endeavour to assist students into a career pathway, but please be aware that neither employment nor work experience placement is guaranteed by us.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.