Everything you need to know about bricks for domestic, commercial and public buildings. Learn how to lay and bond bricks and similar building blocks and how to construct ornamental panels, feature walls, arches and columns. Provides the skills to prepare and maintain brickwork.
Gain the trade knowledge and skills to lay bricks as a bricklayer or blocklayer
Do you want to build a lifetime career from the ground up?
When you complete the Certificate III in Bricklaying/Blocklaying you will be ready for a certified trade career as a bricklayer or blocklayer.
Gain these skills
You will gain the knowledge and skills to lay bricks for domestic, commercial, and public buildings.
- construct arches
- feature walls
- steps & stairs
- curved walls
- ornamental panels
- interpret plans
- apply work health and safety requirements
Learn in specialised facilities
South Metropolitan TAFE's Thornlie and Rockingham Campuses offer first rate, fully equipped, purpose-built workshops, where students get hands-on practice working in simulation rooms, using advanced equipment and the latest techniques.
Certificate II in Building and Construction (Pathway - Trades) (Bricklaying and Blocklaying Pre-apprenticeship)
Gain the skills to work in the building industry and become an apprentice bricklayer/blocklayer.
Do you want to build your career outdoors?
When you complete this Certificate II in Building and Construction pre-apprenticeship you'll be what employers are looking for as an apprentice bricklayer/blocklayer.
Gain these skills
- constructing and repairing walls, arches, foundations, and partitions
- interpreting plans
- calculating the right amount of materials for the job
- working with scaffolding safely at heights and
- workplace health and safety
Get ready for a safe construction career
Learn the skills to prepare for a career in construction and pick up your White Card along the way.
This skill set will give you an introduction to working in construction, teaching you safety and accuracy in planning for, setting up and beginning a construction project. You will learn to use tools and equipment safely and the rules and procedures for safe work on site, plus you will work on a construction project, ready to add to your portfolio.
This course is ideal as a start to a building and construction pathway, building the basic safety skills for wet trades, plumbing, carpentry and joinery.
Gain these skills:
- Plan and prepare, set up and use levelling device and worksite clean-up
- Identify and assess risks of work tasks, identify hazardous materials and other hazards on work sites, plan and prepare for safe work practices, apply safe work practice and follow emergency procedures
- Plan and prepare tools, equipment, signage and barricades, calculate materials and ready them for use, apply environmental requirements
- Determine component requirements and assembly sequence
- Operate hand tools and use equipment safely
- Quality checking construction outcomes against plans
- Understanding work, health and safety of construction projects, worksites, PPE, communication and first aid procedures, safety symbols
Tuition and resource fees
Eligible students study this course absolutely free. If you are not eligible you can expect to pay $394.33.
Next dates for delivery
Course dates for 2022 will be made available soon.