Get ready for a safe construction career.
Learn the skills to prepare for a career in construction and pick up your White Card along the way.
This skill set will give you an introduction to working in construction, teaching you safety and accuracy in planning for, setting up and beginning a construction project. You will learn to use tools and equipment safely and the rules and procedures for safe work on site, plus you will work on a construction project, ready to add to your portfolio.
This course is ideal as a start to a building and construction pathway, building the basic safety skills for wet trades, plumbing, carpentry and joinery.
- plan and prepare, set up and use levelling device and worksite clean-up
- identify and assess risks of work tasks, identify hazardous materials and other hazards on work sites, plan and prepare for safe work practices, apply safe work practice and follow emergency procedures
- plan and prepare tools, equipment, signage and barricades, calculate materials and ready them for use, apply environmental requirements
- determine component requirements and assembly sequence
- operate hand tools and use equipment safely
- quality checking construction outcomes against plans
- understanding work, health and safety of construction projects, worksites, PPE, communication and first aid procedures, safety symbols
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 5 days a week across 3 weeks from 8.00am - 3.30pm. This course is delivered 5 days a week for 3 weeks and then students will complete a 4th week on work placement, to be arranged by SM TAFE.
Work placement will need to be completed and will be arranged by SM TAFE.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (a pen and notepad and wear enclosed footwear and equipment from orientation booklet lists).
Uniforms and workwear requirements
- Steel cap boots
Job ready skill sets are 100% free for the following eligible students:
- People aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding school students)
- Secondary school-aged people who are not enrolled at school
- People receiving the JobSeeker payment
- People and dependents of people receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY
- People and dependents of people holding:
- pensioner concession card or Health Care Card; or
- a Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Dependents of people who are inmates of a custodial institution
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Work placement is mandatory for completion of this course. SM TAFE will arrange a suitable work placement within industry for you which will involve your attendance at a workplace.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.