Get a handle on advanced mathematics for engineering.
The skill set will offer you a unique opportunity to systematically grasp advanced engineering mathematics and numerical methods techniques to innovatively solve engineering tasks.
You will develop analytical problem-solving abilities to carry out engineering design and operations or maintenance activities. It is ideal for those pursuing higher engineering qualifications and careers at para-professional level.
Workers in industry have options available for flexible study. Explore the mechanical diploma and advanced diploma study pathway options.
- develop your underpinning core mathematical skills and essential knowledge in technical mathematics/advanced engineering mathematics
- gain advanced engineering abilities to become a qualified engineer
- enhance subsequent education choices to transition into a university engineering qualification and career choices
- develop your analytical problem-solving skills
- identify the key parameters and their effect on system behaviour by solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs)
- visual and interactive job-relevant learning experience of calculus and advanced algebra using MATLAB to find analytical/numerical solutions expeditiously
- develop the capability for applying MATLAB as an interactive mathematical analysis tool to support engineering and scientific applications
- apply mathematical modelling using MATLAB/SIMULINK for practical and complex engineering problems
- demonstrate practical applications of the various mathematical concepts and the associated MATLAB operations to various engineering application areas, e.g. thermodynamics; fluid mechanics; probability and statistical analysis in project management and maintenance, etc
This skill set is part of the Skills Ready program. Other skill sets can be found on our courses page, using the Refine course results>Study mode filters.
Students should have completed their WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or have year 12 equivalent to study this course.
Students will need to have studied the unit MEM23004A - Apply technical mathematics prior to undertaking this skill set.
For more information, visit the Applied Engineering and Mathematics skill set page.
Attendance in class
This course is 3 hours every week for 20 weeks, you will need to attend workshops and lectures on-campus.
As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 6 to 8 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
Your study at home requires you to use our online learning tool, Blackboard, where you will access learning content, assignments, lesson plans and pre-reading for classes, at your place of choice, on or off-campus.
You will need to have the basic technical requirements, including Microsoft Office Word and Excel for at-home study. Once you have enrolled you will have free access to Office 365 for use at home using your TAFE student account. If you don’t have access to a computer and WiFi at home, we recommend using our library computers during library hours.
Work placement is not a requirement of this course.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (pen, pencil, exercise book, eraser, ruler and calculator) and wear enclosed footwear.
In addition, you are required to wear the following PPE for various laboratories and workshops:
- full sleeve shirt
- closed shoes
- full length pants
- safety glasses (will be provided by SM TAFEs Applied Engineering)
This skill set forms part of MEM60112 Advanced Diploma of Engineering, which provides pathways towards university entry requirements.
Select your preferred campus and apply
Click on your preferred campus and study mode below to get started with your application.
Semester 1, 2023
Munster - On Campus
|When||Semester 1, 2023|
Indicative fees and charges
The fees quoted are estimates only and are for all units in the course for students enrolling on a full-time basis. If you're a student that has successfully completed a lower-level qualification that is a prerequisite for this course, you'll only pay for the units that you need to enrol in to complete this course. Please view the full list of fee disclaimers.