Get a solid foundation in physics for engineering
Learn how to use mathematics as a tool to analyse practical problems.
This course is ideal for FIFO workers - talk to us about how you can study this course flexibly.
Gain these skills:
- Identifying common engineering materials by their principal properties
- Select materials for specific applications
- Verify selected material as fit for purpose
- Determine stresses in simple structures and mechanical components
- Verify stress levels using appropriate reference material
- Solve engineering problems involving algebraic expressions with one independent variable
- Use trigonometry to solve practical problems
- Solve quadratic equations
- Statics, dynamics, motion and rotation
Next dates for delivery
- 4 February to 24 June 2021 | Thursdays from 5pm to 8pm
Requirements of the course:
This course requires both on-campus practical and theory classes; and connectivity to learning management systems for self-paced study.
On-campus practical and theory classes:
For 3 hours every week, you will need to attend workshops and lectures on-campus.
Connectivity to learning management systems for self-paced study:
Once enrolled, you will receive information about how to login to our eCampus. Your study will include 6 to 8 hours a week using Blackboard, where you will access learning content, assignments, lesson plans and pre-reading for classes, at your place of choice, on or off-campus. To access the full suite of software activities, you will need to use College computers at Munster campus.
Engineering study pathways that lead to jobs of the future
Are you ready to take the next step in your career?
This skill set is one of three made of units from the MEM50212 Diploma of Engineering - Technical. SM TAFE delivers these skill sets in tandem with the diploma qualification each semester, so that workers seeking to specialise in mechanical or electrical engineering can reach their study goals flexibly.
You can choose to study one or all the skill sets from the diploma, but we recommend you enrol into the Diploma if you plan to study all the skill sets and wish to apply for a VET Student Loan.
Download the full advanced mechanical study pathway infographic(opens in a new tab) to see how you can begin your journey to advanced engineering.
This skill set forms part of MEM50212 Diploma of Engineering - Technical, which provides pathways towards university entry requirements.