Learn the fine art of greenkeeping
Join the sports turf industry at a level where you will be expected to curate and manage a wide range of turf and horticultural practices. A considerable amount of outdoor and physical activity is required while you apply your skills to green spaces such as golf courses, bowling clubs and elite sports facilities.
Sports turf management is a unique course to SM TAFE and proudly boasts three previous students have won the Western Australia Apprentice of the Year in the WA Training Awards.
- manage safety issues and work site activities
- operate and maintain turf machinery and chainsaws
- irrigation installation, operation and maintenance
- installing drainage systems
- sample, test and improve soils
- plant nutrient application and monitoring
- safely preparing, applying, transporting and storing of chemicals
- controlling weeds, plant pests and disorders
- renovating turf, preparing turf surfaces for play and monitoring turf health
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
Applicants are required to provide evidence that they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Enrolled under an employment-based contract
- Employed in a workplace which provide regular turf maintenance services (golf course, parks and gardens, bowling green or cricket grounds maintenance, school gardener.)
This course is available as an apprenticeship.
Entrance requirements for apprenticeships
You must be employed in a training contract by an appropriate organisation to study an apprenticeship or traineeship.
An apprenticeship involves full time work with an employer who provides an opportunity to learn all aspects of a trade. This is a structured program for a fixed period of time and while you learn on the job, you also attend off the job training at SM TAFE.
Some of the benefits of an Apprenticeship are that you can:
- Earn a wage while you train
- Learn on the job skills combined with off the job training
- Receive a nationally recognised qualification on successful completion
- Start a valuable step towards a rewarding career path
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 1 day per week when studied part-time across seven semester.
As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 2 hours of additional study per unit each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
You will need to have the basic technical requirements for at-home study. If you don’t have access to a computer and WiFi at home, we recommend using our library computers during library hours. Office 365 is provided to enrolled students.
Not a requirement of this course.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (pen, pencil, exercise book, eraser, ruler, calculator, highlighter, 2 ring binder/lever-arch file, USB storage device and a clipboard for field work).
- Steel-capped safety boots (mandatory within all classrooms)
- Collared long-sleeve shirt and work trousers
- Sun hat
- Australian standard eye protection
- Australian standard hearing protection
- Gardening gloves
Detailed specifics will be advised by your course lecturer at orientation.
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
Work placement is mandatory for completion of this course. SM TAFE will arrange a suitable work placement within industry for you which will involve your attendance at a workplace.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.
Select your preferred campus and apply
Click on your preferred campus and study mode below to get started with your application.
All year round
Murdoch - Apprenticeship
|When||All year round|
Indicative fees and charges
The fees quoted are estimates only and are for all units in the course for students enrolling on a full-time basis. If you're a student that has successfully completed a lower-level qualification that is a prerequisite for this course, you'll only pay for the units that you need to enrol in to complete this course. Please view the full list of fee disclaimers.