Your career outdoors is calling
This qualification provides the practical skills and knowledge to construct, renovate and maintain garden landscapes.
Training is provided in the areas of hard landscaping, irrigation, plant knowledge, soil nutrition, turf maintenance, landscape machinery use and horticultural safety, building on the skills gained in the Certificate II in Landscaping.
Gain these skills:
- select materials and plants for landscape projects
- set-out and landscape a range of sites
- construct stone, brick, block and timber structures and features
- learn about irrigation installation and troubleshooting
- safety in the workplace.
Please note: Landscaping involves physical labour and students will be required to demonstrate a reasonable level of fitness and mobility.
This qualification is directly aligned with priority industry areas where the jobs are today, and into the future. As part of the state government Lower fees, local skills initiative, from 1 January 2021 through to 31 December 2021 you'll only pay half the course fees (plus resource fee), capped at $1,200; or $400 if you're aged 15—24 or eligible for a concession. Find out more.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
Applicants are required to provide evidence that they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Completed a certificate II In Horticulture or Landscaping
- Minimum 12 months in Horticulture or Landscaping industry with participation planting programs, plant identification skills, basic landscape construction (paving, low retaining walls).
This course is available as an apprenticeship.
Entrance requirements for apprenticeships
You must be employed in a training contract by an appropriate organisation to study an apprenticeship or traineeship.
An apprenticeship involves full time work with an employer who provides an opportunity to learn all aspects of a trade. This is a structured program for a fixed period of time and while you learn on the job, you also attend off the job training at SM TAFE.
Some of the benefits of an Apprenticeship are that you can:
- Earn a wage while you train
- Learn on the job skills combined with off the job training
- Receive a nationally recognised qualification on successful completion
- Start a valuable step towards a rewarding career path
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 4 days per week when studied full time across one semester.
As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 2-5 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
You will need to have the basic technical requirements for at-home study. If you don’t have access to a computer and WiFi at home, we recommend using our library computers during library hours. Office 365 is provided to enrolled students.
Not a requirement of this course.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (pen, pencil, exercise book, eraser, ruler, calculator, highlighter, 2 ring binder/lever-arch file, USB storage device and a clipboard for field work).
- Steel-capped safety boots (mandatory within all classrooms)
- Collared long-sleeve shirt and work trousers
- Sun hat
- Australian standard eye protection
- Australian standard hearing protection
- Gardening gloves
Detailed specifics will be advised by your course lecturer at orientation.
SM TAFE actively promotes the employment availability of course graduates to key industry partners and organisations. We also seek expressions of interest from organisations for the placement of our students into work experience. We endeavour to assist students into a career pathway, but please be aware that neither employment nor work experience placement is guaranteed by us.
To access free career planning and job search assistance, visit the Jobs and Skills Centres page.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.