Coxswain's can gain employment in the small vessel sector in commercial workboats, fisheries, fishing, tourism and aquaculture.
This qualification is suitable for people who want to command and operate a vessel less than 12 metres long with unlimited outboard engine propulsion, or inboard engines less than 100 kilowatts.
- In inshore waters (refer to National Standard for Commercial Vessels Part B—General requirements) or designated waters (under state or territory waterway management legislation).
- As a tender or auxiliary vessel operating within 3 nautical miles of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone.
In addition to successful completion of Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal), the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) requires students to successfully complete each of the following to be issued with a new certificate of competency:
- Be at least 16 years old
- Meet medical and eyesight test requirements
- Completed AMSA approved task book or have qualifying sea service
- Short range operator certificate of proficiency, or equivalent
- Complete an AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA)
Refer to the following information for the AMSA Mandated Practical Assessment (AMPA)(opens in a new tab) for the Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal). People seeking certification should contact the marine regulators, Australian Maritime Safety Authority(opens in a new tab) .
This course starts in January, allowing students to complete their qualification by mid March. To begin, click the Semester 1 Full Time option below and apply online.
Main body of course: starts 4 January
Elements of Shipboard Safety: starts 2 March
Main body of course: starts 28 June
Elements of Shipboard Safety: starts 23 August
This qualification is directly aligned with priority industry areas where the jobs are today, and into the future. As part of the state government Lower fees, local skills initiative, from 1 January 2021 through to 31 December 2021 you'll only pay half the course fees (plus resource fee), capped at $1,200; or $400 if you're aged 15—24 or eligible for a concession. Find out more.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
- This qualification is suitable for people who work as a Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal in the maritime industry and Command a Commercial Marine Vessel which is up to 12 meters in length. The propulsion power must be unlimited for an outboard engine or up to 500 kW for an inboard engine. Vessel: inshore or as a tender or auxiliary vessel within 3 nautical miles (nm) of a parent vessel within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ).
For information about jobs and pathways, please see http://joboutlook.gov.au/
Further study opportunities:
- MAR30918 Certificate III in Maritime Operations (Master up to 24 metres Near Coastal), State ID BDU4
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.