Get ready for a career in Business!
This skill set is the perfect introduction to office administration, clerical work and reception work.
You will learn to all aspects of customer service and management, organisation of daily work tasks, how to produce professional documents using relevant business technology and how to work effectively with colleagues in an office environment.
- deliver a service to customers
- produce digital text documents
- organise and complete daily work activities
- use business technology
- contribute to health and safety of self and others
This course is FREE from 1 January 2023. The course fees are 100 per cent subsidised by the WA State Government for WA residents.
Some eligibility conditions apply for the free training, and other fees may apply for some courses. Please see the FAQs on our Skills Ready page for further information.
This skill set is part of the Skills Ready program. Other skill sets can be found on our courses page, using the Refine course results>Study mode filters.
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to one day per week.
As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete approximately 3 hours of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
You will need to have the basic technical requirements for at-home study. If you don’t have access to a computer and WiFi at home, we recommend using our library computers during library hours.
Work placement is not a requirement for this course.
What you need for your first day of class
Required personal stationery items are essential aids for your studies and your lecturers will advise you at orientation, of any that you need to provide.
The basic items are: a USB storage device/Thumb drive, paper and writing materials. A folder is sometimes helpful as you are responsible for taking notes and keeping them organised.
If you have any questions or concerns about your course or your studies you should approach your lecturers at orientation, who will be more than happy to assist you. Your lecturers will advise you at orientation of any additional resource requirements such as textbooks and software applications as well as providing information on how to access or purchase student copies/licences.
Remember to bring, your South Metropolitan TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, a pen and notepad and dress should be neat casual.
Job ready skill sets are 100% free for the following eligible students:
- People aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding students enrolled at school)
- People and dependents of people receiving JobSeeker payment
- People and dependents of people in receipt of services from one of the following Commonwealth support or employment services programs:
- Online Employment Services
- People and dependents of people receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY
- People and dependents of people holding:
- a pensioner concession card or Health Care Card; or
- a repatriation health benefits card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs; or
- Dependents of people who are inmates of a custodial institution
Select your preferred campus and apply
Click on your preferred campus and study mode below to get started with your application.