Want an exciting and rewarding long-term career in the defence industry?
Applications for semester 2, 2021 (July) are now closed. Delivered in partnership with industry, the Women in Defence Industry Scholarship provides 6 months of free technical engineering (1 MB) (PDF document) training to prepare you for employment in WA’s booming defence industry.
This industry is continually growing and evolving with new technologies. WA needs skilled workers to meet future requirements across the defence industry's major projects.
There are fully-funded scholarship places available for women of all ages and backgrounds who have just finished school, returning to work or seeking a career change.
Participants get to experience the defence industry with four weeks of work placement as well as industry tours and guest speakers.
If you have an interest in technical engineering, maths and learning how drawings can be transformed into machines/ships then this is for you!
Hear from Kate Wilson, who received a Women in Defence scholarship in semester 1, 2021 and has since gone on to a career in electronics.
UEE21911 Certificate II in Electronics: Introduction to the world of electronics to gain knowledgeable and practical workshop skills.
MEM30505 Certificate III Engineering- Technical: Learn general engineering concepts and how drawings are transformed into buildings and manufactured items. Maths is a big component of this course.
Next intake semester 1, February 2022.
• Foster an understanding of the technical career opportunities in the defence industry
• Teach foundation mechanical engineering design, operations and maintenance
• Provide technical skills and an understanding of technology and automation in the defence industry
• Assist students with a pathway to employment or higher-level qualifications
• Provide a pathway to a career in engineering drafting, or as an engineering associate.
Applicants are required to be female, Australian residents and must be competent in communication and mathematics . These skills are equivalent to completion of Year 10, but may also be achieved through previous work or informal learning experiences. The scholarship has been designed to meet the needs of women who are returning to work, seeking a career change, recently completed high school or as an alternative pathway to university. The learning environment is structured to provide a high level of support for students returning to formal education.
- Applications for semester 1, 2022 will open in October 2021.
- Applicants must include their resume/CV and a transcript of their highest study (Highschool/TAFE/Uni) to be considered.
- Contact the Jobs and Skills WA dedicated defence team for more information on defence courses and careers
T: 08 9599 8655
Building G — South Metropolitan TAFE, Rockingham campus Simpson Avenue, Rockingham