This course is for people who use pesticides with powered and hand-held application equipment. You will gain the skills and knowledge to apply, transport and store chemicals safely.
- Determine the need for chemical use
- Identify the appropriate chemical
- Prepare for chemical use according to label and MSDS
- Identify conditions for safely applying chemicals
- List procedures for cleaning up following chemical application
- Record application details
- Determine how to transport and handle chemicals
- Identify how to store chemicals safely
- Record storage details
- Read and interpret label and MSDS directions for safe transport, handling and storage
Competency units covered in this course:
- OAL84AHCCHM307 Prepare and apply chemicals to control pest, weeds and diseases
- BAP97 AHCPMG301 Control Weeds
- BAN70 AHCCHM304 Transport and Store Chemicals
You can start anytime in the online study component of this course. Attendance on campus will be arranged with your lecturer after you enrol.
Online and on campus study
This course is delivered mostly online, with a final practical assessment to be arranged by your lecturer on-campus. Students can expect to attend campus for 3 days and will be required to successfully complete an off-site assessment portfolio before being deemed competent.
To study online and on campus, you should be prepared to commit to independent study and to attend our campuses. To help you understand what it takes to study online and on campus at SM TAFE, download our info pack below.
Attendance on campus
Parking at Murdoch campus is strictly limited and South Metropolitan TAFE strongly recommends using public transport to access the campus. For more information visit our Smart Travel page. http://www.transperth.wa.gov.au/Journey-Planner(opens in a new tab)
What to bring to campus
Bring a calculator, writing materials and wear enclosed shoes.
Participants will receive the following resources:
- A reference manual
- An assessment guide
Successful completion of this course will give participants qualifications required to apply for a basic weed spraying licence from WA Department of Health.