Build your career in vehicle construction and repair
Vehicle construction and repair is a diverse trade requiring a broad range of skills. Vehicle Construction and Repair workers manufacture, modify and repair a wide range of purpose built heavy and light commercial vehicle bodies, trailers, chassis and components. These include buses, vans, tipping bodies, cabs, semi trailers, mining vehicles, heavy haulage, light vehicles, tankers, recovery vehicles and personnel carriers.
Trades people in this industry use a vast variety of materials such as steel, aluminium, sheet metal, plastic, fiberglass, wood, rubber, glass and box sections and channel. They will weld (gas metal arc and electric arc welding) fit, bolt, rivet and glue these materials as well as install axles, suspension, brakes, wheels, hydraulic, pneumatic, lighting and electrical systems as required. You will also learn to contribute to workplace relationships and processes, provide customer service and participate in improving workplace productivity.
Gain these skills:
- prepare materials for fabrication using jigs/fixtures and manual processes
- conduct mechanical cutting operations
- perform various types of welding operations
- mount and assemble components
- modify or rectify chassis/frame and associated components
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
This course is available as an apprenticeship.
Entrance requirements for apprenticeships
You must be employed in a training contract by an appropriate organisation to study an apprenticeship or traineeship.
An apprenticeship involves full time work with an employer who provides an opportunity to learn all aspects of a trade. This is a structured program for a fixed period of time and while you learn on the job, you also attend off the job training at SM TAFE.
Some of the benefits of an Apprenticeship are that you can:
- Earn a wage while you train
- Learn on the job skills combined with off the job training
- Receive a nationally recognised qualification on successful completion
- Start a valuable step towards a rewarding career path