Getting ready to apply
You can express your interest in applying for a VET Student Loan at any time after being offered a place in your course, however you will not be issued with an official loan agreement (Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form, or eCAF) until you have enrolled into your course.
Applying for a VET Student Loan does not act as an acceptance of an offer of a place in your course.
You may choose to wait until you have enrolled into your course before commencing the loan application process, however this may reduce the amount of time you have to finalise your application depending on your earliest census dates.
Before lodging your application, you will need you have your citizenship and educational attainment documents (and Parental Consent Form (284 KB) (PDF document - opens in a new tab) if applicable) ready to upload or deliver to a campus. Please note that documents supplied to TAFE Admissions to apply for your course are not made available to VET Student Loan staff, so you may need to provide copies of documents that have been supplied in previous processes.
Providing the correct supporting documentation is the responsibility of the student. Due to the volume of applications received, applications are assessed in the order in which they are received and delays caused by insufficient documentation are the responsibility of the student, and may result in some or all fees being ineligible to be placed on a loan if administrative or census dates are not met.
Applying for a VET Student Loan
Students will need to provide the following documents with their application.
Australian citizenship requirements:
- Current Australian Passport
- Australian Citizenship Certificate
- Full Australian Birth Certificate*
*Students born on or after 20 of August 1986 with both parents born outside of Australia will need to provide proof of one or both parents Australian Citizenship Certificate on or before their date of birth.
New Zealand citizenship requirements:
- Meet the Commonwealth's eligibility requirements**
- Provide current New Zealand passport or provide full birth certificate
- Complete a statutory declaration, stating you meet the Commonwealth's requirements
- Provide an Immigration Movement Records form prior to the course first census date
**For New Zealand Citizen eligibility requirements please visit Study Assist(opens in a new tab) .
Permanent Humanitarian visa holder:
- Provide current passport with humanitarian visa details
Educational loan entrance documents:
- Australian Year 12 Senior Education Certificate issued from a governing body or agency, or
- A Certificate IV or higher in an Australian Qualification Framework or equivalent (when the course was delivered in English), or
- Sit an approved literacy and numeracy test achieving an exit level 3 or higher in both.
- Achieved an International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme.
Additional Identification documentation:
- Australian Drivers License
- Proof of Age Card
- Medicare Card
- Centrelink Concession card
2. Application form
Complete the online application form by clicking on the below button.
VET Student Loan process
If you are taking out a VET Student Loan you will need to know the census date (4 MB) (PDF document) and ensure you are enrolled before this date. The census date is when you incur a FEE-HELP debt (for fees) of the units undertaken.
If you have taken out a VET Student Loan you will not incur a debt if you withdraw on or before the census date.