Welcome to International Student Support Services!
Our International Student Support Officers provide International students with support, advice and referrals to help you make the most of your study experience here at SMTAFE. Appointments can be arranged at any campus and we encourage you to contact us if you have any personal or academic concerns.
When you have successfully applied to become an international student with us via TAFE International WA, you will be given the venue, date and time for your first day at SM TAFE.
Your first day is an orientation day with presentations by International Student Support Services team members and key partners to assist you in adapting to studying and living in Australia. You will be offered instructions and assistance for using SM TAFE systems including your timetable and will be offered contacts for support while you study.
Support while you study
International Student Support Services staff can answer your questions, liaise with lecturers if necessary and provide support to help you organise your study and settle into the campus you are enrolled at.
Come and talk to us! We offer:
- Advice on courses and pathways
- Advice on applications for continuing enrolment
- Advice on changes of course units and pathways
- Updating of your contact details
- Monitoring your class attendance and progress (if you are at risk of falling behind in your studies, we will work with you and your lecturer through an intervention strategy and provide academic support, if necessary)
- International student health care information
- Referral to professional counselling services
- Issuance of Certification letters at the request of international students
- TransPerth bus and train timetables and fares
Get together with other international students at SM TAFE at our twice-yearly excursions.
In the past students have enjoyed day trips to Rottnest Island, Caversham Park, bush camping and bowling. Excursions come at a small cost for students and involve transport and any entry fees.
Due to covid-19 restrictions since early 2020 excursions have unfortunately not been possible for the past few semesters and we are still unsure whether or not they will go ahead in 2022. Look out for posters on campus, or check your email or Facebook for excursion invitations.
Make an application to study at SM TAFE
If you are interested in studying at SMTAFE, please contact TAFE International WA (TIWA)(opens in a new tab) directly to make an application as all overseas enquiries and applications are processed through them.