Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Get ready for a safe construction career
Learn the skills to prepare for a career in construction and pick up your White Card along the way.
This skill set will give you an introduction to working in construction, teaching you safety and accuracy in planning for, setting up and beginning a construction project. You will learn to use tools and equipment safely and the rules and procedures for safe work on site, plus you will work on a construction project, ready to add to your portfolio.
This course is ideal as a start to a building and construction pathway, building the basic safety skills for wet trades, plumbing, carpentry and joinery.
Gain these skills:
- Plan and prepare, set up and use levelling device and worksite clean-up
- Identify and assess risks of work tasks, identify hazardous materials and other hazards on work sites, plan and prepare for safe work practices, apply safe work practice and follow emergency procedures
- Plan and prepare tools, equipment, signage and barricades, calculate materials and ready them for use, apply environmental requirements
- Determine component requirements and assembly sequence
- Operate hand tools and use equipment safely
- Quality checking construction outcomes against plans
- Understanding work, health and safety of construction projects, worksites, PPE, communication and first aid procedures, safety symbols
Tuition and resource fees
Eligible students study this course absolutely free. If you are not eligible you can expect to pay $394.33.
Next dates for delivery
This course is delivered 5 days a week for 3 weeks and then students will complete a 4th week on work placement, to be arranged by SM TAFE. The next course dates are:
Thornlie: Starts 15 November
Rockingham:Starts 18 October
Help using our online application
You will need to have the evidence requirements(opens in a new tab) and relevant documents ready to upload with your application. When ready to apply, use our guide to self service application using Student Portal.
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 5 days a week across 3 weeks from 8.00am - 3.30pm.
Work placement is not a requirement of this course.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (a pen and notepad and wear enclosed footwear and equipment from orientation booklet lists).
Uniforms and workwear requirements
- Steel cap boots
Job ready skill sets are 100% free for the following eligible students:
- People aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding school students)
- Secondary school-aged people who are not enrolled at school
- People receiving the JobSeeker or JobKeeper payment
- People and dependents of people receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY
- People and dependents of people holding:
- pensioner concession card or Health Care Card; or
- a Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Dependents of people who are inmates of a custodial institution
- Work Safety in Construction Skill Set
- Certificate III in Carpentry and Joinery
- Certificate III in Civil Construction
- Certificate III in Painting and Decorating
- Certificate III in Plumbing
- Certificate III in Roof Plumbing
- Certificate III in Solid Plastering
- Certificate III in Wall and Ceiling Lining
- Certificate III in Wall and Floor Tiling
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application.