The aim of this course is to provide students with the skills and knowledge required to understand the capability and limitations of ECDIS as used during a navigational watch, to operate, interpret and analyse information obtained from ECDIS, and manage ECDIS operation, system files and data. This course meets the requirements of STCW as revised by Manila Amendments 2010, and is AMSA approved. It also meets the requirements of IMO Model 1.27 (2012).
There is a written and practical assessment, and students receive an ECDIS certificate upon course completion.
- Elements of ECDIS
- Watch keeping with ECDIS
- ECDIS Route Planning and Monitoring
- ECDIS Targets, Charts and Systems
- ECDIS Responsibility
- Must have previously obtained formal instruction in Terrestrial Navigation and be familiar with visual navigation.
- Must have served a period of supervised Bridge Watch - keeping duties.
- Must have completed a Basic Radar / ARPA and ENS course or Master under 24 Meters Certificate of Competency or Master up to 35 Meters Certificate of Competency.
Next dates for delivery
- Term 2, starts 14 June
- Term 3, starts 20 September
- Term 4, starts 6 December