The Laser Safety Officer Certificate is a prerequisite for laser licensing in Western Australia, Queensland and Tasmania and is required to gain laser licensing exemptions for use of laser in treating patients.
This is a theory-based online course about the health and safety guidelines of IPL and Laser treatment and the required safety standards as outlined by the Radiation Safety Act 1999.
The unit is government accredited and recognised by the Western Australia Radiological Council as a laser safety course. Non-medical practitioners may be able to use lasers for cosmetic procedures with a current exemption licence. An exemption licence still requires an application to the Radiological Council and an exemption certificate to be issued.
The unit reflects the safety guidelines, for a broad range of clinic intense pulsed light and laser dermal applications, expressed in the following Australian and New Zealand safety standards:
- AS/NZS 4173:2018 Safe use of lasers and intense light sources in health care
- AS/NZS IEC 60825.1:2014 Safety of laser products – Part 1: Equipment classification and requirements
- AS/NZS 1336:2014 Eye and face protection – Guidelines.
The use of intense pulsed light and laser is subject to legislation, regulation and licensing in some Australian states and territories.
Gain these skills:
- Identify health and safety requirements for intense pulsed light and laser hair reduction treatments
- Assess and control safety risks in the treatment environment
- Assess and control safety risks to practitioner and client
- Respond to health and safety risks in the IPL/LASER environment
Course duration: This course is delivered online, self-paced over 4 weeks. Assessment is based on a written knowledge and will be completed online.
Semester 1, 2021 dates:
- 1 February - 22 February
- 8 March - 29 March
- 19 April - 10 May
- 24 May - 14 June
- Standard $305
Attendance in class
This course is delivered online. There is not class attendance required.
What you need for your first day of class
Uniforms and workwear requirements:
Students are required to wear black pants and black top with enclosed shoes. Hair must be tied back neatly and professional presentation is required.
Completion of this unit will lead to the issue of the IPL/Laser's Safety Officer's Certificate, it will not lead to the issue of a laser exemption.