This certificate enables you to work as a Master or Chief mate on vessels less than 500 gross tonnage in any operating area and as Watchkeeper deck officer on vessels of any gross tonnage and in any operating area.
With this certificate you can perform the duties or functions of:
- Master or chief mate on ships less than 500 gross tonnage in any operating area.
- Watchkeeper deck officer on ships of any gross tonnage in any operating area.
- Master and chief mate on ships less than 3000 gross tonnage in near coastal waters.
- Able seafarer—deck.
In addition to successful completion of the Diploma of Maritime Operations (Master up to 500GT), the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) requires students to successfully complete each of the following to be issued with a new certificate of competency:
- Meet medical test and eyesight requirements
- Hold of the following: unrestricted Master less than 24 meter Near coastal Certificate of competency, watchkeeper deck less than 500 GT or unrestricted Master less than 35 meters near coastal.
- Completed qualifying sea service time as an officer in charge on a navigation watch. Please refer to AMSA website below for further information
- Pass an Orals Examination
People seeking certification should contact the marine regulators, Australian Maritime Safety Authority. Phone: (02) 6279 5000 (8.00am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday EST) or visit the website(opens in a new tab) .
This course runs for 35 weeks.
This qualification is directly aligned with priority industry areas where the jobs are today, and into the future. As part of the state government Lower fees, local skills initiative, from 1 January 2021 through to 31 December 2021 you'll only pay half the course fees (plus resource fee), capped at $1,200; or $400 if you're aged 15—24 or eligible for a concession. Find out more.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|Completion of WACE General or ATAR (Minimum C Grades) or equivalent||Completion of WACE General or ATAR or equivalent (minimum C Grades)||Certificate III|
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.