Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Get ready to delight customers
Gain the skills to create good relationships with customers, provide quality service and help a business to improve customer service levels.
You will learn to identify the unique, shared and cultural needs of customers; to communicate effectively with all customers; to process complaints according to business policies, and when to escalate to achieve customer satisfaction.
This introductory course is an ideal start to a customer service career and includes learning infection control procedures, which will assist in managing front of house and reception office spaces.
Gain these skills:
- Provide service to customers by using a range of verbal and non-verbal communication types and active listening
- Presenting a professional image and acting according to organisational policy
- Identifying customer needs and choosing the best way to handle their request
- Problem solving conflict and complaint resolution
- Identifying opportunities to improve customer service standards
- Show social and cultural sensitivity and adjust customer service response to assist people of different backgrounds
- Use infection control procedures to ensure the safety of customers
Please note if you are not eligible for fee free training, the following fees apply.
- Tuition fees: $246.50 or free for concession
- Resource fees: $125.00
- 11 August
- 13 October
- 8 September
- 17 November
Help using our online application:
You will need to have the evidence requirements (opens in a new tab) and relevant documents ready to upload with your application. See our guide for applying using our online system (1 MB) (PDF document - opens in a new tab) .
Requirements of the course
This course includes both online study and on-campus practical and theory classes.
Once enrolled, you will receive information about how to login to our eCampus and you will need to complete a literacy and numeracy quiz to show you can study online. Your study will involve accessing content online for 1 study module, followed by a series of online quiz assessments to test your knowledge.
For the other modules of the course, you will need to attend campus to develop your skills in our service facilities.
This course can help you get ready for your first job, or re-skill quickly for jobs that are available as WA's economy recovers. This course is free for 15 to 24 year olds; or those who are receiving JobSeeker, JobKeeper, Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY payments; or concession cardholders. If you’re not eligible, you can pay the course fee to gain these skills and become highly employable. See the full eligibility list in the important information tab below. Find out more about the initiative.
Attendance in class
This course is equivalent to 2 days per week across two weeks.
As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
There is no work placement requirement for this course.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID and stationery (pen, pencil, exercise book and USB). Students are welcome to bring in their own laptop or tablet.
Job ready skill sets are 100% free for the following eligible students:
- People aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding school students)
- Secondary school-aged people who are not enrolled at school
- People receiving the JobSeeker or JobKeeper payment
- People and dependents of people receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY
- People and dependents of people holding:
- pensioner concession card or Health Care Card; or
- a Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Dependents of people who are inmates of a custodial institution
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application.