Printing the course overview will compile the details for all availabilities into a single PDF file without the units attached. If you want to print the units out for one or multiple availabilities then select the checkboxes below.
Get a taste for working in a kitchen
Learn the skills to prepare for a career in a commercial kitchen.
This skill set will give you an introduction to working in kitchen operations in restaurants, hotels, catering facilities, clubs, pubs, cafes, coffee shops, aged care facilities, hospitals, prisons and schools.
You will learn basic food preparation and cookery skills under the supervision of experienced commercial lecturer cooks.
Gain the skills to:
- Clean kitchen premises and equipment
- Use hygiene practices for food safety
- Participate in safe work practice
- Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- Use food preparation equipment
- Starts 19 February for 5 weeks, Fridays 8am to 12pm and Saturdays 8am to 3pm
- Starts 16 April for 5 weeks, Fridays 8am to 12pm and Saturdays 8am to 3pm
- Starts 21 May for 5 weeks, Fridays 8am to 12pm and Saturdays 8am to 3pm
- Starting 24 February for 5 weeks, Wednesdays and Thursdays 1.30pm to 8pm
- Starting 5 May for 5 weeks, Wednesdays and Thursdays 1.30pm to 8pm
Help using our online application:
You will need to have the evidence requirements (opens in a new tab) and relevant documents ready to upload with your application. See our guide for applying using our online system (1 MB) (PDF document - opens in a new tab) .
Requirements of the course
This course includes both online study and on-campus practical and theory classes.
Once enrolled, you will receive information about how to login to our eCampus and you will need to complete a literacy and numeracy quiz to show you can study online. Your study will involve accessing content online for 1 study module, followed by a series of online quiz assessments to test your knowledge.
For the other modules of the course, you will need to attend campus to develop your skills in our kitchen facilities.
This course can help you get ready for your first job, or re-skill quickly for jobs that are available as WA's economy recovers. This course is free for 15 to 24 year olds; or those who are receiving JobSeeker, JobKeeper, Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY payments; or concession cardholders. If you’re not eligible, you can pay the course fee to gain these skills and become highly employable. See the full eligibility list in the important information tab below. Find out more about the initiative.
Job ready skill sets are 100% free for the following eligible students:
- People aged 15—24 years at the time of enrolment (excluding school students)
- Secondary school-aged people who are not enrolled at school
- People receiving the JobSeeker or JobKeeper payment
- People and dependents of people receiving the Youth Allowance, AUSTUDY or ABSTUDY
- People and dependents of people holding:
- pensioner concession card or Health Care Card; or
- a Repatriation Health Benefits Card issued by the Department of Veterans' Affairs
- Dependents of people who are inmates of a custodial institution
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.