Perform routine gas tungsten arc welding
The Coded Welding Gas Tungsten Arc skill set covers preparing and producing welds to code standards using gas tungsten arc welding. It has been developed specifically to suit the role of a welder in the defence industry; for example those working on projects such as ship or aircraft building or the maintenance of military vehicles.
It will provide existing workers with the skills to be able to weld to the requirements of AS1796 and obtain Certification no. 7 from Weld Australia. You will also gain knowledge and skills on health and safety with welding, setting and maintaining welding parameters, as well as welding in the 2G and 5G weld positions.
Gain these skills
- Learn how to apply safe welding practices
- Perform engineering measurements
- Interpreting welding specifications including standard welding symbols
- Selecting appropriate weld preparation methods for material and position of welds.
- Preparing materials, setting up of jigs, fixtures, clamps,etc. and joint preparation
- Identifying defects as described in the range statement across a range of welded materials
- Advanced welding using Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Process
- Perform Welds to Code Standards using Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Process
Next dates for delivery
- Day classes - Monday to Friday 12 weeks full time
- Night classes - 3 hours per night per week for 30 weeks
- Groups begin monthly when there is demand
- Tuition fees $174.96 + Resource fees $481.25 = Total course fees $656.21
- Concession tuition fees $51.84 + Resource fees $481.25 = Total concession course fees $533.09
Completion of the following units is a prerequisite for this skill set.
- MEM05007C Perform manual heating and thermal cutting
- MEM05019D Weld using gas tungsten arc welding process
- MEM05049B Perform routine gas tungsten arc welding
- MEM05051A Select welding processes
- MEM05052A Apply safe welding practices
- MEM09002B Interpret technical drawing
- MEM12023A Perform engineering measurements
- MEM18001C Use hand tools
- MEM18002B Use power tools/hand held operations
- MEM05026C Apply welding principles
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.