Develop the groundwork for major infrastructure
Learn how to prepare detailed designs of roads and drainage by adopting the simulated role of a technical officer and designer.
Tackle project scenarios including greenfield and brownfield sites, creating road and drainage designs to meet job briefs and complying with Australian standards and guides.
Produce engineering designs by using AutoCAD and AutoCAD Civil 3D engineering software programs to enhance and provide students with skills and knowledge for rapid creation and output of civil site design projects.
This course is ideal for FIFO workers - talk to us about how you can study this course flexibly.
Gain these skills
- Detailed designs of both rural and urban roads, surface/pavements and subsurface drainage
- Investigate location of underground services and their impact on projects
- Implementation of traffic control devices to improve road safety for all road users
- Intersection treatments
- Pavement types, layers, materials and thicknesses.
- Calculating, sizing and selecting infrastructure components
- Geometric designs
- Analyse, interpret and apply Australian, MRWA and Austroads standards and guides
- Stormwater capture methods
Next dates for delivery
- 4 February to 24 June | Thursdays from 5pm to 8pm
Requirements of the course
This course requires both on-campus practical and theory classes; and connectivity to learning management systems for self-paced study.
On-campus practical and theory classes:
For 3 hours every week, you will need to attend workshops and lectures on-campus.
Connectivity to learning management systems for self-paced study:
Once enrolled, you will receive information about how to login to our eCampus. Your study will include 6 to 8 hours a week using Blackboard, where you will access learning content, assignments, lesson plans and pre-reading for classes, at your place of choice, on or off-campus. To access the full suite of software activities, you will need to use College computers at Munster campus.
This skill set forms part of RII50515 Diploma of Civil Construction Design , which provides pathways towards university entry requirements.