Looking to commence an IT career?
When you complete the Certificate III in Information Technology General Focus, you will be an attractive applicant for IT roles such as client support officer, IT technician, or ICT operations support.
Gain these skills:
- hardware installation and maintenance
- supporting PC operating systems
- networking operating system installation and management
- Microsoft Office applications and documentation
- ICT helpdesk skills
All certificate III qualifications include these core skills:
- programming, ethics and privacy
- personal data protection
- critical thinking
- teamwork and ICT client support
This course is a suggested entry point for high school graduates with limited information technology skills or those who have limited industry experience.
Ready to get started?
This course uses TAFE Admissions.
Applications for Semester 2 2021 are now open:
Specialist facilities on campus
The Centre for IT Excellence (CITE) provides state of the art, industry relevant training in information technology, creative media and electronics. We provide pathways from foundation studies to advanced diploma with specialist training in cyber security, systems and programming.
See our IT Training Facebook page!
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
Attendance in class
The full-time course is equivalent to 3 days per week across one semester.
As well as the in-class component, you will need to complete 25% extra of additional study each week outside of class hours, including private study, assignment preparation, and research.
There is no work placement required for this course.
What you need for your first day of class
On your first day you should bring your SM TAFE confirmation enrolment receipt, your student ID, stationery (pen, exercise book, and USB).
In addition, the following uniform is required to be worn at all classes:
- Normal business/computing office attire applies.
- Certificate IV in Information Technology [Programming]
- Certificate IV in Information Technology
- Certificate IV in Information Technology [Networking]
- Certificate IV in Information Technology [Gaming Development]
- Certificate IV in Information Technology [Systems Administration Support]
- Certificate IV in Cyber Security
Please note this list should be used as a guide only as job titles and qualification requirements may vary between organisations.
SM TAFE actively promotes the employment availability of course graduates to key industry partners and organisations. We also seek expressions of interest from organisations for the placement of our students into work experience. We endeavour to assist students into a career pathway, but please be aware that neither employment nor work experience placement is guaranteed by us.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.