Are you looking to join a school of fish lovers?
This course is ideal for those looking to expand on the skills and knowledge they gained in Certificate II in Aquaculture. It also comes packed with opportunities to upskill with either boating or diving skills. While a solid foundation in aquatic science is essential, the aquaculture sector prefers to hire staff with additional boating and/or diving qualifications.
You will gain the following knowledge and skills:
- Care for and maintain fish stocks, culture and holding environments
- Installing or constructing stock culture or holding structures and other allied structures
- Assessing and controlling biosecurity and stock health and treating aquatic stock for diseases
- Monitoring and maintaining water quality
- Co-ordinating feeding activities, handling and harvesting operations for aquatic stock
- Operating high technology water treatment components
- Implementing emergency procedures, occupational health and safety policies and guidelines
Further skills from the maritime industry
Certificate II in Maritime Operations (Coxswain Grade 1 Near Coastal)
- Commanding and operating a vessel less than 12 metres long with unlimited outboard engine propulsion, or inboard engines less than 100 kilowatts
Coxswain's can gain employment in the small vessel sector in commercial workboats, aquaculture, fisheries and tourism.
Specialist facilities in the maritime heart of Fremantle
Our Fremantle campus features a working aquaculture facility with hatchery tanks and filtration systems and is within convenient walking distance to the fishing industry in Fremantle. Our lecturers have a strong relationship with the Australian Centre for Applied Aquaculture Research (ACAAR) in the neighbouring facility.
|School Leaver||Non-School Leaver||AQF|
|OLNA or NAPLAN 9 Band 8||C Grades in Year 10 English and Maths or equivalent||Certificate I or Certificate II|
This course is not an introductory course to the study of aquaculture. Applicants should have already achieved a Certificate II in Aquaculture or have some experience in the aquaculture industry before applying for entry into this qualification.
Study options and next steps
Click on your preferred study mode below to get started with your application or enrolment.